Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sleepers

One of the movies I bought this month was "Sleepers". I like this movie. The cast is fantastic! Specially Brad Renfro. Yes, I guess I'm a little... dark... I can't help it. He was one of my favorite actors.

What happens with these boys, for Christ sake! I know it must be hard to live in this world, but there'll be someone to help, always. Everybody has problems, pains, scars. I have my own. I tried to kill myself, once or twice, but I never really wanted to. I cried for help and I got it. I can't say my pain's gone, cause it didn't, but I kept it under control, I don't wanna suffer all the time. It's a matter of wisdom, maturity. My mind drives me crazy then I turn it around to other business, like keep myself busy. So I write, play with my nephew and my cats and when I'm really upset, I call a friend. Of course, it's not that simple, but I fight.

Anguish, frustration, all those feelings who consumes us, by the own life condition, either we face it or our soul simply dies. And this is the death in life, what it's the worst thing can happens.

Well, back to "Sleepers". Those are the dead souls. In Brazil it calls "Sleepers - The Sleepy Vengeance" - yeah, it sounds weird.

There's something strange in this movie. We feel like could be better, but the juvenile cast steals the film. Incredible how we could guess who is who, the boys and their adult version, if they weren't named.

It think the director, Barry Levinson, left the cast too slack. What is great for some actors, like Kevin Bacon, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Vittorio Gassman, Bruno Kirby, Frank Medrano, Terry Kinney, all wonderful, it seems doesn't work for Jason Patric, Brad Pitt, Billy Crudup. Ron Eldard is good, already saw him much better. Minnie Driver's character is dull, but she's more contained than usually, what is a relief. The result is irregular but some scenes worth watching.

That was the first time Kevin Bacon plays a paedophile. The second, in "The Woodsman, 2004", a very disturbing and great movie, he did it again, brilliantly. He's that kind of guy who is so charming, but has this "psycho thing" that makes us nervous, exactlly for his apparent sympathy. GREAT ACTOR.

Robert De Niro, a priest? Very sexy!

Well, I just love this movie, for what it is or could have been.

Michael Sullivan (Brad Renfro/Brad Pitt)
Lorenzo 'Shakes' Carcaterra (Joe Perrino/Jason Patric)
John Reilly (Geoffrey Wigdor/Ron Eldard)
Tommy Marcano (Jonathan Tucker/Billy Crudup)